Welcome
Welcome to shff

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The DC Chess Collection

The place to chat about Eaglemoss's latest collection and everything related to it!

Re: The DC Chess Collection

Postby Artificial Idiot » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Why on Earth does Eaglemoss insist on Catwoman constantly having her goggles up all the time? No other character in either collection has their mask/visor off or raised so why is it always the case with her? I suppose at least this one doesn't have the goofy smile of the one on the main line, so there is that.

Red Hood is actually rather good. Would definitely like to see that design in the main collection if we get him - It's definitely the best he's had.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby buffduffdan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm

I like Catwoman, I think she looks better with her goggles up so no complaints for me! Nice piece :)

Red Hood - bleurgh! Horrible costume for a crappy character :P The only way I'd buy him is if I decided on getting the whole set!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Highscores: 1

Postby Captain Nikos » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't agree with you BDD
This Red Hood looks impressive too, if the scale is the same than for the figs of the DCFC, i'm really wondering today if i'm not gonna take some of the pawns for my collection...
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Jac13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 am

I like that Red Hood but the silver finish on Batman look terrible. Might pick up a couple if they stay in scale with the main collection but I don't think I'll lose any sleep on skipping these now.

I like my Catwoman but it has a very good paint job. I seen a couple that look goofy with bad paint jobs.
Jac13
Young All-Star

Postby Blurred View » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 am

Oh good lord, EM used that horrible Red Hood costume. They didn't even have the decency to sculpt it in a way that covers up that goofy chest symbol. It was bad enough that DC has been using it for the covers of Jason's next appearance. Thank god Judd Winick has said Jason isn't actually going to use it again. It was an awful look that never fit the character. Grant Morrison may have done a better job with Jason than most other writers, but he was still way off on the character.

I will be SO frustrated if EM actually use that look for Jason in the main collection. So much. I will make my Babs-as-Batgirl reaction seem calm and reasonable and happy. I really just want a decent Red Hood fig.

I am interested in seeing how these pawns compare to figs from the collection, though. Not for this one, of course. But there are some others I may pick up if they fit in well. I agree that the male Ventriloquist should make the collection, but Paul Dini's story with this female one was actually pretty good and I would be interested in that piece. I don't believe the Michael Lane version of Azrael will ever be made either, so that piece too. Though I guess that depends on that metallic finish paint and how prominent it is.
Blurred View
Seventh Soldier of Victory

Postby Ciro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Actually I don't think it's only EM insisting on Catwoman with her goggles up. It's something that started with Jim Lee and Hush and has been going on ever since. Adam Hughes (my personal favorite Catwoman artist) has done a lot of art with her goggles up too. Lee and Hughes are two of the most popular Selina artists and there's a lot of statues based on their version of the character, so it doesn't surprise me that EM follows that trend.

Just do a quick google image search for "catwoman hughes" and "catwoman statue" and you'll see that most results have her with her goggles up.

I personally like to look at Selina's pretty eyes :D so I can't complain, the fig looks great.

As for Jason, still hate the costume, but the fig looks impressive.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby TristanShout » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Catwoman looks good, but would look better with the goggles down. I like the version we have, but I think the Chess Piece's pose just suits 'Goggles down'.
I really like the Red Hood's figurine- it's a great sculpt and a great look...
Saying that, it's not a great look for Jason Todd. The biker version does suit his personality waaay better and they should proably have gone that way. If I were a big fan of his (like BV) I would be annoyed- like how I'm pretty much refusing to get Huntress in her slutty and impractical costume.
ImageImage
TristanShout
Omega Man

Postby Evil Monkey Pope » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:32 am

I like that Red Hood costume much better than the no effort biker look.
Evil Monkey Pope
Freedom Fighter

Postby 6sic6sic6 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

does the price of this collection same as the dc and marvel figurines?
6sic6sic6
Civilian

Postby Artificial Idiot » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Seems the chess collections are going to be 7.99. So one pound dearer than the normal DC collection.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Detective Wolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 am

I like the look of these figs and have decided to subscribe and see how it goes. My only concern is that from the Batman comparison pics and the French Spiderman comparison pics it looks like the Marvel chess set is huge in comparison to the DC chess set which is a big shame for me!!
Detective Wolf
Atomic Knight

Postby jbmb2000 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I think they'd probably look a bit better if they weren't going with the extra paint to distingush to 2 sides. Batman looks a bit wierd being all silvery.
jbmb2000
Civilian

Postby Kelvin Ruthven » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 pm

bigbadbri wrote:i would of bought this if one of the other 3 collections had finished eaglemoss are just getting greedy & i can only see this failing as it is too much money each month for the 3 collections plus specials

Quoted For Truth!

I'm only collecting the main DC and BN/BD sets but even so, an extra set (or 2 if you count the Batmobilia set) is just too much.
Kelvin Ruthven
Civilian

Postby buffduffdan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 pm

It's not really greedy, it's just business sense really. As we heard from Rich, it makes sense for them to use the licences and keep producing high quality products rather themnletting them waste or having Marvel/DC go to another company and potentially get poor collections brought out. And they're not just aiming at us figurine collectors, but new buyers and those that like chess, missed the figurines, want a starter set, etc. so whilst some people might not be able to afford it, they're hoping there will be others who can!

Also not to be pessimistic but considering we might not even get another DC extension then by the time this is released nationwide, both the figurines and the BN subset could be over by then so who's to say how many collections will be still going when, or even if, this gets properly released!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Jayms » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm

I have to say I am impressed by this collection's pieces.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Jayms » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Artificial Idiot wrote: Red Hood is actually rather good. Would definitely like to see that design in the main collection if we get him - It's definitely the best he's had.

Erm....... wrong :P Sure it was his best representation since "Under the Red Hood" and Grant Morrison did a half decent job with the character for the first time since Judd Winick had him. The costume doesn't suit the character though, (although, arguably, it did fit that particular arc). I'm just glad Winick is getting the reins again so he can fix him. Under the Red Hood, Road to Jericho and Lost Days are easily the best three Red Hood stories. All by Winick (and notably all in the same costume). Basically, I agree with Blurred View :P

Blurred View wrote:Oh good lord, EM used that horrible Red Hood costume. They didn't even have the decency to sculpt it in a way that covers up that goofy chest symbol. It was bad enough that DC has been using it for the covers of Jason's next appearance. Thank god Judd Winick has said Jason isn't actually going to use it again. It was an awful look that never fit the character. Grant Morrison may have done a better job with Jason than most other writers, but he was still way off on the character.

I will be SO frustrated if EM actually use that look for Jason in the main collection. So much. I will make my Babs-as-Batgirl reaction seem calm and reasonable and happy. I really just want a decent Red Hood fig.

Totally agree. It will annoy me SOOOOOOOOOOO much if after all our campaigning for this character we get him in this sh!tty recent look. That said, for the purposes of this chess set it suits well enough and looks fine. All the characters (with the exception of one (I'll get to that later)) are in their most recent looks and feel cohesive as a set so I can let it slide. It wasn't the "wrong" choice for the chess set because it was the only choice for the chess set given the time frame.

bigbadbri wrote:i would of bought this if one of the other 3 collections had finished eaglemoss are just getting greedy & i can only see this failing as it is too much money each month for the 3 collections plus specials

buffduffdan wrote:It's not really greedy, it's just business sense really. As we heard from Rich, it makes sense for them to use the licences and keep producing high quality products rather themnletting them waste or having Marvel/DC go to another company and potentially get poor collections brought out. And they're not just aiming at us figurine collectors, but new buyers and those that like chess, missed the figurines, want a starter set, etc. so whilst some people might not be able to afford it, they're hoping there will be others who can!

I agree with both counts here. Yes it is a pain for those who would like to get all the collections and I really wish that given the uncertain nature of the DCFC that EM hadn't decided to go with the Chess Set as well, BUT this collection is aimed at a new audience. It's a very localised time frame they have taken from, so it's not for Golden age readers. It's all Batman so not for fans of the greater DCU and it's a chess set that is completely separate from the DCFC (a fact that I think really needs hammering home to people). At the end of the day the DCFC is for people interested in the whole DCU and it's history. This chess set is for newer readers and Batman fans. Yes, there will be some crossover in the fan base but these pieces(I say pieces to distinguish that they are pieces of a game, a greater whole) are NOT interchangeable with the DCFC figs. And nor should they be. The more I look at this set the more I want it, not so I can add Renee and Red Hood to my DCFC (I still want those 2 to make it into the collection proper) but because the set as a whole and separate thing looks good.

Right, now. Onto the last thing in the stupidly long post. Nightwing. Why Nightwing? It doesn't fit at all with the set we have here! Sure, he need to be distinguished from Bruce but I really hope that, when they reveal the piece, he is in his Batman guise. It is distinct enough to look different and my preference of the two Bats. It would be a shame for it to be only him we get in his past costume.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Stvtayl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:49 pm

they look good quality, but I wont be picking them up, because I already have most of the ones I want in the Main Collection, and besides I've already got a Star Wars Chess set :)

Although just reading the Q & A, Katana & Black Mask, I want, so if they don't appear in the main collection, I may pick them up through the site, if you can.
Stvtayl
Checkmate Agent

Postby Artificial Idiot » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Jayms wrote:Erm....... wrong :P Sure it was his best representation since "Under the Red Hood" and Grant Morrison did a half decent job with the character for the first time since Judd Winick had him. The costume doesn't suit the character though, (although, arguably, it did fit that particular arc). I'm just glad Winick is getting the reins again so he can fix him. Under the Red Hood, Road to Jericho and Lost Days are easily the best three Red Hood stories. All by Winick (and notably all in the same costume). Basically, I agree with Blurred View :P

Not wrong, just a different opinion. I thought Under the Hood was terrible, and wouldn't touch anything relating to the character written by Winnick with a ten foot pole as a result of it. However, I really enjoyed Morrison's take, and thought it resonated a lot more with the circumstances this character finds himself in, didn't cheapen the characters (again, in my opinion) of Batman and the Joker in the process and he was a guy that, in the long run, I could actually start to feel something for. It's a shame, from my perspective at least, that DC seem to be doing away with all that - But for what it's worth, I like this little nod to that window of enjoyment in this chess set. Who knows, if the figures are to scale, I may even get him...

Of course, it helps that I think it's a much more interesting and bold design than anything else Jason has been in as well. Other than perhaps his Batman look, but making him in that would be a little silly. So we can all agree on that, at least? >.<
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Jayms » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Hahahaha AI. I didn't really mean you were "wrong" (hence the tongue face). As you say, its a difference of opinion. I happen to be a huge Winick fan and love his Red Hood stories, his run of Green Arrow and Justice League: generation lost. I actually do agree that Morrison did a half decent job of Jason, it just wasn't in the same kind of characterisation as Winick's take (which, obviously, I really like). The costume, I know, has always been a big thing for you and I can understand that. It isn't very "super", it's more cyber-biker(?). I much prefer the biker look and characterisation that goes with it. Nothing wrong with either opinion as far as I'm concerned.

I have really enjoyed he new run of Batman and Robin and love Richard Grayson as Batman, Red Hood in the arc he was in worked, even the new costume had a reason of sorts. All good things. I do think it's odd (and disappointing) that having gone for this very localised time frame that we don't get Richard Grayson Batman, it almost undermines all the other costume decisions to me.

But anyway, the point is that I don't think you are "wrong" its just that I think that Red Hood has been done very well by Winick and that whilst the costume choice here is the right one, it isn't for the character.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Artificial Idiot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I dunno, I'd say it's less cyberbiker and more just biker with a quirky helmet. :lol: I know you weren't saying I was definitely, horrifically wrong - I'm just feeling argumentative of late, so thought I'd throw that in there, and let's face it - There's not much else to talk about in here right now. As a matter of fact, does anybody have Daimian yet?

I don't think Morrison is right on everything either though, tbh. His portrayal of Bruce is pretty bleh, his takes on some of the villains (especially poor, poor Talia) is off too. But I do love his Richard Grayson, and I rather like Batman and Robin as a series. My only real complaint is, it could just as easily be a Nightwing series. It certainly had the same tone and hit a lot of the same beats as Nightwing comics I've read, but I suppose being Batman is better than being dead.

I also agree it's odd that they're doing Nightwing instead of Richard as Batman. Especially as this would've been a prime opportunity to have Richard with his sidekick, in the costumes they wore together - Something we're probably not going to see in this collection outside of a sub-set. However, I get why they did it - I imagine it was marketing poking their nose in, saying that people will get confused having two Batmen in one (relatively small) set. It's gonna look a bit odd, but to be fair, so's Bat-Mite in a collection reflecting this era of comics.

Also, I'm not a total dismissive of Judd Winnick either. I wasn't a big fan of his Outsiders, not a big fan of his Batman - But Justice League: Generation Lost currently sits near the top of my reading pile when my comics come in, and I'm looking forward to a JLI title by him (and hopefully Giffen, now he seems to be off everything :() after Flashpoint.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 pm

So does anybody know what is happening with this? Anyone got Robin yet - and isn't the Joker supposed to be out as well?

Just out of curiosity, I didn't follow the Buffy collection so I don't know how things went with that one, but is there actually a chance that this might not get picked up by EM after the trial releases? That would be kind of cruel after all the fuss made about Sven's comments :lol:
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby marvelman » Sat May 07, 2011 5:38 pm

i have batman, robin, joker and comiss gorden (all very nice figures). However, with issue 4 there was a note saying that the collection has been suspended. They hope to restart it again soon.......

I am wondering if it will return next year perhaps after the DC collection has ended?
marvelman
Civilian

Postby Ciro » Sat May 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Marvelman, would it be too much to ask for a picture of the figs you have with maybe the DCFC regular Batman (or any other DCFC regular really) next to them for comparison?

I kind of think it was to be expected that they would say something like that after the trial run has ended, doesn't mean the collection won't be continued. At least I hope so! :lol:
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah I'm sure we would all appreciate some pictures if that's possible Marvelman :D

Hmm I wonder if that's a good sign or not. I mean we've seen 7 figurines on the website so I'm presuming they've gone into production or were at least ready to so this could be a bad sign that sales weren't enough and that they've stopped early. On the other hand it might be that sales were so good that they've decided to stop now and launch nationwide as soon as ... guess we'll have to wait and see!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby buffduffdan » Tue May 31, 2011 8:47 pm

So has anybody subscribed to this and if so have you received any figs yet? I just figured that seeing at the Batman Automobilia collection subbies got their first delivery today that this collection must be going along the same time ... or has nobody actually subscribed to this one? :o

I've not seen hardly any of these on ebay compared to the Batmobiles either actually so I wonder how good they've sold in their trial?!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am

I've sent a couple of emails to the address on the website re: the fate of the collection but have received no reply as of today.

But, the site's still up and it still offers the possibility of subscription so I think it's almost safe to assume that the collection will be launched sooner or later.

I've only seen one Batman on eBay + some guy who was selling the first four mags without the figures.

I think we will see an official launch sometime in late August/early September.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Ciro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm

You know, with all the turmoil going on in the DCU at the moment I hope, now more than ever, that this collection is finally released with its original list of characters. It could be the last glimpse at the Batfamily before DC lost its freaking mind.

I hope they go through with this and give us Oracle, Step!Batgirl, Damian!Robin and the rest soon. It's not like they would change the line-up to reflect the rebooting, would they?
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Traveller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 pm

I just an order in for the set to see what actually happens

I hope they have not suspended the collection as I would like to get my hand of the Catwoman figure there as it much better than the one that features in the original series.

Fingers crossed and I'll let everyone know what is happening as it happens.
Traveller
Civilian

Postby buffduffdan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 pm

Interesting point Ciro! I mean if this collection doesn't get launched til early next year and half of these characters are no longer around/used then it'd be kind of weird to launch a collection of them ... on the other hand I'm guessing it'd cost a lot to waste the money they've spent on the existing figures and stock. I guess ultimately DC would prefer them to change but I think it would depend on if EM could afford it really!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Liquid_6 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

I subscribed to this back on the 13th May. As yet all I recieved was a robin with statue issue!? No free gifts or a sniff of batman and no invoice with the mag AND packaged BADLY! Have emailed and heard nothing and called lots and never get an answer! VERY disappointed with the service :(
Liquid_6
Civilian

Postby Ciro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 pm

So tonight I needed a bit of cheering up for obvious reasons and I found a few of these pieces up for sale on eBay - the most exciting news is that the guy who's selling Robin has just replied to my e-mail with scale info, and apparently Robin is approx 3 inches tall, which means he's in perfect scale with the DCFC. Still waiting for some extra info on Gordon

Pics

*sigh* if this collection does not go on (and with the Babs as Batgirl nonsense in September) I'm pretty sure it's a sign that DC & EM hate me on a personal level.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Yeah I've noticed a few more pieces of those going on ebay (including the Robin & Joker I'm currently winning on :lol: I'm too curious not to try and buy one!) so I wonder if sales are suddenly improving or people are now selling them because they wonder if EM are carrying on with them!

I hope we hear some announcements about this, the Automobiles and the Marvel chess sets soon though :)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 am

I was wondering if it would be possible to ask Sven what's the state of this collection, whether it will be launched or not and if the line-up will remain the same despite the DC reboot (especially re: Oracle and Stephanie).

AI, do you think that would be possible?

Also, IF the collection is launched do you guys think it would be too late to ask Sven if it would be possible to include the male Ventriloquist (instead of the female one) and Mad Hatter (instead of a villain already present in the DCFC, I want to say Hush but he's next in line so I guess he's already entered production). Sven wanted those two characters in the DCFC and since that might not happen anymore this could be a great opportunity to give us those two key Batfoes.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Ciro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Hate to double post but this might be interesting to a few people here...just got a message from the guy selling Gordon and it's pretty much settled, the chess pieces are in scale with the DCFC. Gordon stands at approx 5 inches including the base, which is slightly bigger than the DCFC one, so that the fig itself is pretty much the same height of a regular DC fig.

I'm soooo excited about this. I hope this collection goes on and with the same list of characters. Please DC & EM let me have this at least!

I'll renew my question about asking Sven! This doesn't make up for yesterday's news but it's still something :D
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Right now, we're still in information gathering mode for the DC collection and we don't wont to overload Sven with loads of messages about all the different collections at once but give us time for things to settle a little and we will try to find out what we can! :)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Sorry, of course do what you have to do, I had no idea you were working on gathering more info for the DC collection, that's even better than getting news of the chess set! I'll sit and wait patiently :D
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I didn't mean there was more news, just we are trying to find out what we can still! Of course any info we get for either collection will be shared but these things take time so thanks for being patient :)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Artificial Idiot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Ciro wrote:Hate to double post but this might be interesting to a few people here...just got a message from the guy selling Gordon and it's pretty much settled, the chess pieces are in scale with the DCFC. Gordon stands at approx 5 inches including the base, which is slightly bigger than the DCFC one, so that the fig itself is pretty much the same height of a regular DC fig.

Awesome! I'll definitely be picking some of these up if the collection goes no further. I'm not a big fan of some of the characters on offer, but there's certainly no harm in plugging my collection with the likes of Damian, Black Mask, Katana, etc.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby TristanShout » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:36 am

I'd be tempted, but the Gold/ Silver wash really puts me off. I'm going to wait to see how it looks in hand, but at the moment all the photos just look off.
ImageImage
TristanShout
Omega Man

Postby Ciro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 am

If I manage to pick these up (hoping every single day to see some official update on the website!), I'll be repainting and rebasing the characters I want to mix with the DCFC. Should be simple enough.

The others I'll just display as stand-alone pieces so the silvery finish doesn't bother me much.
Ciro
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DC Chess Collection