Welcome
Welcome to shff

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The DC Chess Collection

The place to chat about Eaglemoss's latest collection and everything related to it!

Re: The DC Chess Collection

Postby Captain Nikos » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:22 pm

The four first figs from DC superhero chess figurine collection are in pre-order on Ebay
by heroes-assemble-comics for the 1st february :
Batman
Joker
Robin (Damian Wayne)
Commissioner Gordon

7 of Them all are in presell auction on the bay too by US shop : reddragonstatues
Batman
Joker
Robin
Penguin
Catwoman
Two-Face
Sphinx
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Captain Nikos » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Here are the ones i'm actually intending to buy :
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Jayms » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Curious! The figs all look great and with the exception of Batgirl and Katana (apparently) they are all from the right kind of era.... They are all Batman reborn through to Incorporated.... I like the Black Canary more than the main collection's one. And sure, I prefer Red Hood's other look but this costume fits the rough period of the other figs so i'm happy with that. Black Mask looks like a good'n too.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby mathew » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 pm

mathew
Civilian

Postby buffduffdan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 pm

For those interested, the first issue should be hitting shelves in the UK on 8th February!

So just a couple of weeks to go ;)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Highscores: 1

Postby Ciro » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 am

Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Rincevent » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Did you see the new pieces' order on the official website ?

1 Batman
2 Joker
3 Robin
4 Penguin
5 Catwoman
6 Two-Face
7 Batgirl
8 Riddler
9 Poison Ivy
10 Gordon
Rincevent
Global Guardian

Postby Zombula » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:02 am

Cheers for posting pic Ciro :)
ImageImageImageImage
Zombula
Site Admin

Highscores: 4

Postby Captain Nikos » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks Ciro !
But the Poison Ivy we had in the DC Fig Collection looks better than this one...IMO
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Ciro » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am

I also prefer the one we've got, even though I think she's a bit too much of an amazon and I like that the chess piece is slimmer and petite. But the face and pose of the main collection one are much better.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Captain Nikos » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Rincevent wrote:Did you see the new pieces' order on the official website ?
1 Batman
2 Joker
3 Robin
4 Penguin
5 Catwoman
6 Two-Face
7 Batgirl
8 Riddler
9 Poison Ivy
10 Gordon

So here we are:
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Jayms » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Nice. I like the even spread of characters from each side of the board. I think I'll be picking this set up from shops until I get to Gordon (Who I already have) then going for a subscription for the board itself! Looking good!

I hope we get to see a Justice League set after this too!
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby buffduffdan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am

Here's the TV ad that will probably start airing next week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orEznUsm ... ture=share
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Zombula » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 am

Nice :)
How the heck did you know that was up ?
ImageImageImageImage
Zombula
Site Admin

Postby buffduffdan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 am

The magic of Facebook and being friends with the right people ;)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Jayms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 am

COOOOOOL! Will be making sure my Comic book guy gets that in for me! He will be pleased now I'm solely buying digital lol
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Zombula » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am

buffduffdan wrote:The magic of Facebook and being friends with the right people ;)

:( Not fair .......... :lol: ;)

Got a feeling this collection might sell better than a lot of us 1st thought ; me included.
ImageImageImageImage
Zombula
Site Admin

Postby ghornet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 am

Interesting commercial. Was it just my imagination or was the Black Canary we see the fig from the main collection? I might pick up a couple of pieces but not the whole set once it hits the USA.
In the words of Jimmy Buffett "There's no dumba$$ vaccine"

All we need for the original JSA are Dr. Fate, Sandman & Atom

Starman (Ted Knight), Oracle, Hourman, Cyclone, Liberty Belle, GA Black Canary & Commissioner Gordon.
ghornet
Midnight Son

Postby Dukard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

I notice on the official site now it mentions that all characters are either in there latest or a classic incarnation.
Though doesn't explain Black Canary being in her Brightest Day guise which is neither latest or classic.
Does look good though!
Makes me a little worried for the main collection getting another extension now.
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby Ciro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am

Dukard wrote:I notice on the official site now it mentions that all characters are either in there latest or a classic incarnation.

That was there ever since the website was launched and I don't think it means much as it was clear right from the beginning that all the characters were going to be in their Batman Inc/Brightest Day costumes. The DCnU changes came later and I think the odd mixture of looks is due to the fact that some figures were already sculpted pre-DCnU and/or DC is only interested in pushing the new looks of certain characters (like Batgirl from one of their sadly best selling books right now), while they know that others (like Ivy) will sell better in their classic look.

I would not be surprised if say Nightwing and Red Robin and Huntress ended up in their DCnU looks and Oracle is replaced by Batwing. Harley could go either way, her DCU look is iconic and would sell extremely well, but the DCnU look could appeal to the Arkham Asylum/City crowd.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Dukard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:53 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of those characters who are a part of the DCnU are made in there particular current look,while most of the villains are done in the more classic looks. Harley is one that I can imagine will have her DCnU look as it could well be one of the 1st collections to make her in that particular way.
I agree that Oracle will most likely be replaced & Batwing would be the sensible option.

I'd be interested to know what other sets (if any) are planned. I'm sure in time though the chess sets version of Sven will be introduced to forum & hopefully in a Q&A manner that would also explain some of the conclusions that were made from the marketing questions we were asked to answer on the forum.
I can see it selling quite well with the appeal being that there is a market from those who wish to fill gaps or replace sculpts from the main collection,those who are Bat fans & those who just want it as a rather cool looking chess set. I myself have a cousin who collects chess set & has a VERY impressive display cabinet full of them.
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby Ciro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I hope a Supes set is made so I can have my Lois and Jimmy :P

A JLA set would be cool, we could get a better WW and even if she was in her DCnU look it'd be an easy repaint job for those who want her in her DCU look.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 pm

No need for introductions Dukard, the editor of the DC Chess Collection is none other then Alan Cowsill - the man who launched both the CMFC and the DCFC so he's definitely an old friend of the forum. And I think it's safe to say the set is in safe hands!! ;)
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Dukard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

That's really cool,though I do hope he hasn't read my change of heart concerning the chess set as I was rather anti it in the letter I wrote to him to save our beloved collection.

Has anyone been able to ask him what future plans are for other sets or how/did they benefit from the questions we were asked?
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby Jayms » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm

The only character that I wouldn't mind having in the DCnU look for this collection would be Nightwing (because either that one or the blue one are outside the era they have gone for for the set but both would make sense so we don't end up with two Batman's). Also, If they do decide to drop Oracle for Batwing that would be sort-of a shame but at the same time I think he would make a great model. My hope is that the steer clear of the DCnU costumes for this one though. I'd be more than happy to have a DCnU Justice league set later of though!
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Ciro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Jayms wrote:My hope is that the steer clear of the DCnU costumes for this one though.

Well that's already impossible as we have previews of DCnU Batgirl & Katana.

Btw, Ra's is #11

Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Jayms » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 am

Oh yeah.... I hadn't really payed much attention to Batgirl evidently. I saw purple and assumed we had Stephanie. Katana..... I knew someone had mentioned it was the DCnU look but I honestly couldn't tell... I don't know her (nor do I really care for her enough to be bothered). But yeah.... I'm not too fussed so long as it's not the ones that look drastically different like Red Robin and Harley.

Renee had better still make it though! I have this horrible feeling they'll drop her....
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby wynterstorm » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm

wynterstorm
Runaway

Postby Detective Wolf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Many thanks for the scans.

Batwings in then, and black bat.

That's a new 52 Red Robin as well, looks good though.

I'll be getting all these xxxxxxxx
Detective Wolf
Atomic Knight

Postby Artificial Idiot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Bare in mind, the picture for Red Hood shows his old pre-Morrison costume, whereas the figure we have is very different. So I wouldn't take those little pictures as gospel.

Is Black Bat Cassie Cain's new alias? As so far it looks like I'm down for Black Mask, Batwing, Gordon, Damian, Katana, Azrael (if Michael Lane) and maybe Alfred, Question (if Renee), Black Canary and Black Bat depending on the sculpts. Black Canary and Cassie Cain Batgirl are two of my least favourite sculpts in the collection, so if the chess set sculpts look better in hand I could see myself swapping them.

Not bad! Great way to plug some gaps. Just hope they all look as good as the ones we've seen!
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Dukard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 pm

They do all look really good. I think I'll be picking all these up.
Thought I'd be gutted that its the new Red Robin outfit but it looks pretty cool!

A.I Cass was using the Black Bat look towards the end of the Red Robin series.

A few small observations i've made looking over the pictures is that the 2 white knights Batgirl & Red Robin are in almost identical poses,same goes with the 2 black rooks (not bishops) Ra's & Riddler so it may give some indication that Nightwing will be in a similar pose to Robin!
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby Ciro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Very sad about Oracle, but I knew this was coming. I'll just be happy with my custom, it looks nice with the others, even though I would have really liked to see EM's take on her :(

Poor Steph too, I was looking forward to her. Hopefully we can get her as Spoiler at least, in the main line. That DCnU Batgirl is going to become a custom Steph!Batgirl anyway.

VERY glad about Black Bat! I think the design looks very cool and I really wanted her in that costume to put together a little Batman, Inc. group with a custom Steph!Batgirl and Damian.

I'll take them all unless they pull a DCnU look for Harley - looking forward to Alfred and hopefully Azrael and Question are Michael & Renee.

It also looks like that they're avoiding the female Ventriloquist - I have to be honest, with the classic Ventriloquist in the main line I would have liked her, if only to add another character to my Batman group.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Captain Nikos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Very nice pics, can't wait that this collection starts,
very surprised with some of the choices like Black Bat or Batwing...
Red Robin new DCU looks really good to me !
I'm sure to buy a few of them...
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Very excited about this collection. Batwing and Black Bat are two great additions!!

I quite like Red Robin's pose. Shame they didn't spread his wings/cape out a little more though.
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby shocker300 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Yesss!!I will collect all these! :rockers:
EXECUTIONER FOR LAST CMFC SPECIAL!!!!!!!
HAVING FIGURINES CLEAR OUT!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jazz_rj2012/m ... ksid=p3686
shocker300
Freedom Fighter

Postby Detective Wolf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I just subscribed online from issue 2 onwards so I get the board etc. I noticed in the terms there's a box to opt out of 'larger special issies'.

Anyone have any idea how these will work in a chess set? Did they do specials in the LotR chess sets? Could this be the Bane, Killer Croc figs?
Detective Wolf
Atomic Knight

Postby Artificial Idiot » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 am

Ciro wrote:It also looks like that they're avoiding the female Ventriloquist - I have to be honest, with the classic Ventriloquist in the main line I would have liked her, if only to add another character to my Batman group.

Same here, I don't even like the female Ventriloquist that much but I'm always up for different characters to add to the main collection. Maybe it will be the female version and the picture is incorrect like Red Hood's, but if not... Well, it's nice to be going from zero Ventriloquist figs to two at least. ;)

Would've liked Steph as well! She's certainly one of the big names missing from that line up on the allies side. Dare say Katana or Black Canary could've easily been dropped to make way for her.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Blurred View » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 am

Wow. They actually made Tim in his DCnU look. I guess relative to such looks it isn't really one of the bad ones at least. Pretty sweet for Tim fans too. You can get Tim as Robin, Red Robin and DCnU Red Robin between the two collections.

Renee! Montoya's still in the collection. At least there's that. Definitely something for me to be happy about. Even better, Batwing's been included. There's at least two pieces I intend on getting. I may get DCnU Katana as well. Damian and Black Mask are tempting, but... I'm fairly confident we'll see both of them confirmed pretty soon.

Man, Steph got bumped. That sucks. So much. She gets bumped while some others stay in the collection. Sorry, but how much of a Bat-character is Katana REALLY? Or Black Canary? Azrael keeps his spot? Yeah, I know that one is due to the character design. Steph is still a more notable Bat-character than a handful of these, though.
Blurred View
Seventh Soldier of Victory

Postby Wolfdagon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 am

Looking pretty good. I won't be getting the full set, but there are several of them that I am looking forward to.
Wolfdagon
Guardsman

Postby BM14murph » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 am

Hope they have Nghtwing's New 52 look cuz i think the red symbol is way cooler than the traditional blue
BM14murph
Guardsman

PreviousNext

Return to DC Chess Collection