Welcome
Welcome to shff

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The DC Chess Collection

The place to chat about Eaglemoss's latest collection and everything related to it!

Re: The DC Chess Collection

Postby Jayms » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:20 am

Well my brother bought me the pre-release issues 2 and 4 so I need them to actually release this collection now....

My biggest gripe with the website? It's called a ROOK god-damn-it!
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Jayms » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:39 pm

So as mentioned above, my brother got me a couple of these..... turns out he found Robin and Gordon in a car boot for a quid each. With mags. So that was a very cool find.

And on request i have here a couple of images that show the scale and quality of these pieces in hand. Long and the short of it is that they are fantastic sculpts but the metalic coating means that you really need strong lighting to see the colours properly. Still, a quick repaint won't do any harm and the scale is perfect for the DCFC.

So without further ado.... pics:
Robin

Gordon

I'm afraid these are the only two models that I have from the main collection(s) at this house so it's the best i can do.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Ciro » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 am

I need that Damian in my life. I love Damian and that fig looks perfect.

When are these going wide again?
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah Damian looks pretty awesome!! Very vibrant colours :)

They're being launched in January as far as we know Ciro!
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Highscores: 1

Postby Captain Nikos » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm

The one i really need is James Gordon, we don't have any clue on a further confirmation of this one in a next extension, but i doubt
that the sculpt could be even better than the chess model ! He is already perfect like that !
Just change the paint and that's it !
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Evil Monkey Pope » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am

The Noble Collection is offering a very similar set: http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cf ... 9&catid=45
Evil Monkey Pope
Freedom Fighter

Postby Captain Nikos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 am

Well not really EMP ! This set has only 8 figurines... the rest are cars, towers and batsignals and bombs for pawns...
On the contrary the DC chess set like the Marvel one is supposed to be composed with only figurines even for the pawns (Gordon)
which is far better !
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Artificial Idiot » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Two-Face and Catwoman (issues 5-6) are up for pre-order too now.

Nothing we haven't seen before, but interesting that more previews are popping up for this. Seems like it's actually happening!
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Just wanted to say that there's been no change in the characters line-up on the official website. Probably doesn't mean anything, I really don't think we're getting Oracle (sigh) or Steph!Batgirl or even Renee!Question (sigh), but...well, we still don't have a new line-up it seems.
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Artificial Idiot » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 pm

I think they may well switch Steph to being Spoiler, as that seems to be what happened to the Batman Inc story that was going to feature her. As for Renee Question... I think we'll still get her personally. It's not like they've brought Vic back yet or anything...
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Captain Nikos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Catwoman looks really good to me, i love what they did with her and i'm wondering if i'm not gonna take one for my shelves...
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Zombula » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 am

Dont know if this has been shown but here's the fig & the mag cover for Catwoman ................................ http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

... & Two-Face ............................. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail
ImageImageImageImage
Zombula
Site Admin

Highscores: 4

Postby wynterstorm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 pm

unsure if anyone has put this up before:

wynterstorm
Runaway

Postby Ciro » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:54 pm

That's very nice!
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Artificial Idiot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Penguin is good enough, but I think I prefer the main collection one in this case. :)
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby buffduffdan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Penguin looks cool. I think I'm with Paul on this one that the figurine collection one is slightly better but I do like both :P
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Captain Nikos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:55 pm

IMO i desagree with my two fellow mates as i prefer this Penguin to the one we had in the main collection
who has not such an expressive face...
And Two-Face from DC chess set looks better too !
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Ciro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 am

You have to consider that the picture we have is only a computer generated 3D rendition. The final product may be a whole lot less detailed (even though the chess pieces we've seen so far are very nice).
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby Captain Nikos » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Well, that's also what we thought about Batgirl and the final product is very near from the first computer pic
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Kal Brindle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:40 am

I love the Jim Gordon sculpt and wish EM would finally commit to representing him in the DCFC. He is more than worthy. I'd be tempted to pick these up if they were not all so modern. Give me the classic Catwoman in the purple dress and green cape/cowl and I'd have signed on the dotted line and put my house up as collaterol! My Batman wore grey and blue. Robin was Richard Grayson and Selena wore a dress. Yes I know I'm an old fuddy-duddy - but to make me part with my cash and pick this set up, that's what would be required for me.
Kal Brindle
Eternal

Postby Jayms » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Artificial Idiot wrote:I think they may well switch Steph to being Spoiler, as that seems to be what happened to the Batman Inc story that was going to feature her. As for Renee Question... I think we'll still get her personally. It's not like they've brought Vic back yet or anything...

We had damn well better get Renee. One of the main reasons for me getting this collection. And there is no plan for her to slip out of existence that i can see. In fact, once she shows up in Batwoman again I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a story in DCU Presents (love that book btw)

On a slightly more on topic not; is it just me that finds it odd that the previews are all CG models rather than finished production pieces. I guess they must do all the casting for this collection digitally.
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Dukard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 pm

I kinda despise saying this but the sculpts are fantastic & I actually do want to know when this collection will be available in England
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby ocareyinfluence » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:39 pm

A couple more chess fans

ocareyinfluence
Midnight Son

Postby Jayms » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:25 am

Why so much CG?!?!?!?!

That is all...
Jayms
Omega Man

Postby Artificial Idiot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 am

Possibly they don't have any actual sculpts to show yet and are still in the design process for the figs. *shrugs*
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Dukard » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:11 am

Do you think its possible that the CG images are because they are looking at producing the whole set more or less at once?
With Batgirl looking more DCnU than she does in the main collection the idea may be to release them all in this fashion & by not doing hard sculpts just yet they have time to see what changes may or may not be made to some of the characters listed.

I'd not be surprised at all if the release order doesn't change as nothing is stone yet to allow for time to see what some of these will look like in the New52.

I'd like to know what the initial plan is for the chess collection(s) as to if this will remain SET 1 with others to follow or be just a stand alone EM Batman chess set.
Is it another of Svens babies where we could get some answers or does another hold the reins on this 1?
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby lll6lll » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

well i was going to buy this set in hopes to get a Batman Inc. chess set, but if it's going to be bad person by those god awful Jim Lee designs, then no thanks!
lll6lll
Guardsman

Postby AJEswim » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 am

Can anyone give me the base diameter and the height of the whole piece by any chance?
AJEswim
Civilian

Postby Detective Wolf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 am

Has this got a release date yet? Can't be long now!
Detective Wolf
Atomic Knight

Postby AJEswim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 am

Detective Wolf wrote:Has this got a release date yet? Can't be long now!

Diamond Comics has it to be released late January or February, here in the U.S., I want to say February, but I can't remember exactly. Hope that helps. That's the first 4: Batman, Robin, Com Gordon, & Joker, though, but they have the second set; Catwoman & Two-Face, coming March I believe followed by Batgirl and Riddler coming in April.
AJEswim
Civilian

Postby lost-soul » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:57 pm

IMAGE FROM DIAMOND COMICS - PROMOTIONAL CALENDAR 2012, FEBRUARY.
Bigger image here: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7315/imagefuy.jpg
lost-soul
Knight of Wundagore

Postby Artificial Idiot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Loving that Ra's Al Ghul! Think Black Mask is going to be a definite buy, but I can't say I'm crazy about Black Canary and I'm not sure about Katana. Will need a better look at that one.

Some really nice looking figures, don't think many of them look better than the ones we have (although some do look just as good!) so there's not going to be many replacements on my part. But it'll still be a pretty tidy looking set when it's done.
Artificial Idiot
Shadowpact

Postby Ciro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 pm

They all look pretty good, but I'm not sure what it's going on with the DCnU looks. Batgirl and Katana are DCnU, Black Canary and Red Hood aren't. Maybe they were already produced when the new 52 started? In any case it's kind of messy.

Now I wonder what they'll do with Harley, Ivy and Swan Queen Tim Drake. Hopefully we get them in their classic looks or they're all getting a pass from me (unless they can be used as custom bases!)

I LOVE that Ra's and Damian are in matching poses!
Ciro
Site Moderator

Postby buffduffdan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Some nice looking figures in that group! I especially like Ra's! Black Mask and Black Canary look cool. Like Ciro, I'm not sure about the mixed looks of the group and coming from the 2 different eras. A part of me worries that if the new costumes don't stick then it'll end up being a strange set years down the line...
buffduffdan
Shadowpact

Postby Dukard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Everytime I say this I hate myself but I want this collection!
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby connerkent » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Dukard wrote:Everytime I say this I hate myself but I want this collection!

Iknow what you mean!! i was fairly non-plussed about the whole thing at first,
now i thinking...."i gotta have em"...and i cant even play chess!!!...lol :rofl:
connerkent
Atomic Knight

Postby Captain Nikos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I must admit that it looks to be a pretty nice set !
i also like Ra's Al Ghul, Damian seems very well made too and i like his pose, i like katana even if she hasn't
the classic look i expected, i'm quite sure to take Commissioner Gordon as i really don't know how EM could make a better fig,
i love Black Mask and he could be also one of my choice...like Penguin, Batgirl, Classic Red Hood and Two-face (who seems to be better than the version we had for the main collection cause i love his gun)
I hate you EM cause i could be ready to spend money for them, again !
The only one i'm not fussed of is Black Canary (but she could be a good custom
to make Dinah's mother, the Golden Age version for the JSA...)
Captain Nikos
Site Moderator

Postby Dukard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

i got to admit i cant fault a single one of them!

Ok i'd have prefered the motorcycle helmet version of Jason but we have the main collection one to see yet.

What really bugs me is i hate & i mean HATE the character Hush but EM have made not 1 but TWO bloody figures that make him look so cool!

I actually really like the BD costumed Black Canary,she will differ the custom i've made of her mother in my GA JSA from my BoP display now.

My intensions was to pick up only some to gap fill my collection but i can actually see me picking up them all & maybe interchanging some of the main collection to chess set & vise versa.

If they do make the DCnU Harley i will be one of the very few on here who will be ever so happy! But the must for me is Tim Drake as the official Red Robin from his own series. What we got in the collection is a representation of RR but as no actual person in particular. I'm one of only a few people i know who actually think Tim is one of the strongest characters to come out of Batmans shadow in years.
Dukard
Darkstar

Postby Zombula » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am

Looking good ; im deffo going to be converting a good few of these onto DC bases.
Looking forward to seeing further figs down the line.
ImageImageImageImage
Zombula
Site Admin

Highscores: 4

Postby Blurred View » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 am

You know -- I think I like that Ra's better than the one we got. The pose and look fit the character better. The Ra's we got has always been one of my least favorite Bat-figs.

The mix of styles kind of makes a mess of this, though. I mean, it's a chess collection. Don't you want it to be consistent? It has Batman from Batman, Incorporated. Katana from the New 52 Birds of Prey. Red Hood from one three-issue story arc back in the Batman Reborn era. The old school Black Mask from years ago. Pre-relaunch Black Canary. It's all over the place.

And I was really hoping to see Renee in that picture.
Blurred View
Seventh Soldier of Victory

PreviousNext

Return to DC Chess Collection